An overview to our charities
A national organization is dependent on its members. We, as members of the National Philoptochos Society, the philanthropic arm of our Holy Church, are committed to helping those less fortunate than ourselves.
In order to do this, we instituted a list of commitments that each of our chapters supports. These commitments were voted on by us at our Biennial National Conventions. Every chapter is urged to send delegates to this conference in order that we may plan for the forthcoming two years. We meet, discuss, analyze and decide on these commitments: We approve these commitments by a vote of the delegates present; we vote and approve our National budget. In order for our philanthropic needs to be met, we the members of each chapter must see that our national commitments are met. These commitments are as follows:
- Vasilopita - funds collected are restricted to the needs of St. Basil Academy. Distributions to St. Basil Academy are made once a month in the amount of $25,000.
- Autism - to heighten awareness of autism and provide assistance and support to persons within the autism spectrum.
- St. Photios Shrine - funds collected are restricted to the preservation of the first National Shrine of Orthodoxy in America.
- Archdiocese Missions Program - funds collected are restricted to the promotion of Orthodoxy throughout the world.
- Hellenic College/Holy Cross Lenten Event - funds collected are restricted to the upkeep and maintenance of Hellenic College.
- Sisterhood of St. Basil - funds collected are restricted to the benefit and welfare of the children at the Academy.
- IOCC - International Orthodox Christian Charities - funds collected are restricted to this Orthodox humanitarian organization under the mantel of SCOBA. IOCC works in cooperation with the local Orthodox Church of each country to bring emergency and development aid to those in need.
- 75th Anniversary Founders Fund - to provide support for existing continuing care facilities for the aging Greek Orthodox population in the United States and for the establishment of similar facilities.
- Support a Mission Priest - funds collected are restricted to providing financial assistance to troubled priests in missionary work and parishes.
- Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) - to support Orthodox Christian fellowship on college campuses throughout the United States.
- Hellenic College Holy Cross Scholarships - funds collected are restricted for the financial assistance of seminarians at the College.
- Retired Clergy and Widowed Presvyteres Benevolent Fund - provide support and guidance for retired clergy or widowed presvyteres who are facing financial difficulties.
- Ecumenical Patriarchate - funds collected are restricted to the benefit of the Patriarchate, its programs and charities.
- National Sisterhood of Presvyteres Benevolent Fund - to provide short term support for clergy and/ or their families in time of crisis.
- UNICEF - funds collected are restricted o the United National Children's Emergency Fund.
- National Emergencies Fund - funds collected are restricted to national emergency relief. General Medical Fund - to provides a funding mechanism for persons seeking assistance with illnesses not covered by other restricted funds and programs.
- In addition, monies raised for the following three commitments, including funds raised at the Children's Medical Fund Luncheon, will be used specifically for those designated purposes except when and only if an emergency or need arises. In such cases, the monies collected for the following restricted funds can be used interchangeably as deemed necessary and appropriate.
They are as follows:
- Cancer Fund - funds collected are restricted to assistance of cancer patients in need. Distributions are made as needed upon request from individuals in need.
- Social Services - funds collected are restricted to financial assistance to needy or inform members of the community and foreign nationals. Distributions are made to hospitals and individuals including creditors thereof, as needed, upon request.
- Children's Medical Fund - funds collected are restricted to assisting children with life threatening illnesses and hospitals that provide treatment. Distributions are made to both hospitals and individuals as needed, upon request.